Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Some Wednesday morning notes

Wednesday morning. We worked in the flat until just before noon as Robin had a noon appointment at the on-campus bank, to set up a bank account. Of course, a piece of paper work was missing when she got there (a letter from the student union to the bank, verifying that she is a student). Of course, that process took a couple of hours. Of course, I wondered around the campus looking for photo-ops.

Of course, when you use the phrase "of course" three or more times, it sounds weird and meaningless.

The main concourse in the center of the campus is where most everything happens. Students with signs about some event or organization are everywhere. Two girls screeching a song in unison are wearing signs that say "Pay me to shut up." A "living statue" guy is posing motionless, painted copper color from head to foot.

LGBT-event.jpg
Posters in the student union help me plan my activities. I definitely want to go to Barmy Bingo. I can also try out for the Cricket team, the Rugby team, the SkyDiving club, The Hindu Society, The Islamic Center, and more. I can be multi-sport, multi-cultural, and multi-sexual. Blimey!

cricket.jpg
There's also a Tambourelli league. It's like badminton, only you use a tamborine instead of a racquet.

Hindu-society.jpg
Lots of Hindus here. Love 'em. Just sayin'

english-band.jpg
A band was setting up on the quad, so I waited around to get some video of a cool English band, that looked like Johnny Rotten and the Sex Pistols, or some other punk band wannabe. I don't remember their name, but after shooting about one minute of video, I could suggest some names for them: The Untalenteds, Audio Garbage, Sensless Screamers. I really shouldn't be too critical because I couldn't really hear the screamers - I mean singers - due to the excessive screeching and electronic non-musical noise coming from the guitars and keyboard. And it wasn't just me. If this was good stuff, the students sitting around the quad would have been rocking like some primitive jungle tribe. Instead, they were looking on in disbelief. Like they were waiting for the music to start. Maybe I should have stayed to see what the second song was like, but I started losing self respect subjecting myself to that kind of aural abuse.

rugby.jpg
This poster says it's for Rugby, but anyone can see it's the Gay Get It On Club. Can't fool me.

trip-into-london.jpg
These guys are holding a banner advertising a trip into London. Whenever pretty girls approach, they reposition themselves so the girls have to walk under the banner.

robin-inline.jpg
Robin at the front of the line in the Student Union, to pick up her official letter for the bank stating she really is a student.

jt-rosetta-vet.jpg
Rosetta cut her foot and had to go to the vet a couple of days before we left home. Here we are in the vet's office. She's doing fine.